The lovely Allison Merritt is my guest today let's give her a big welcome



Hi Allison, 
Tell us a little about yourself
A life-long love of reading turned me into an indie author. I write historical/fantasy/steampunk romance with paranormal elements. I live in a small town in the Ozark Mountains with my husband and dogs. When I'm not writing or reading, I like to hike in national parks and conservation areas.
I graduated from College of the Ozarks in Point Lookout, Missouri with a B.A. in mass communications that's gathering dust after it was determined that I'm better at writing fluff than hard news.

What book/s have you brought along to tell us about today?
The Treasure Hunter's Lady
The Sky Pirate's Wife
and the latest book in the series, The Turncoat's Temptress.

Are you working on another book right now?
Yes, actually. I'm working on editing the 4th book in the series and writing the 5th and final book. It's a little bit sad to think I'm so close to finishing a series.

What do you enjoy most about writing?
I think one of the best things about writing is that it takes me out of the real world and puts me into a different one where nearly anything can happen. I get to dictate how the character's lives go, what their circumstances are, and how their problems get resolved.

What do you like the least?
One of the worst things about writing is when I write a scene and get backed into a corner. Those scenes that don't mesh with the rest of the story are so frustrating. I hate when I come to one and I think, this will never work, especially if it's a huge chunk and erasing depletes my word count.

Would you like to see any of your books as movies?
When I started writing The Treasure Hunter's Lady, I totally saw it as a movie. I think it might be difficult to get the whole series because some of the characters are recurring, but each book is about different couple.

If so can you name any actors you would like to see as the lead characters in your book.
I look thinking of actors when I write, imagining their voices and actions. For The Treasure Hunter's Lady, I like Cam Gigandet and Rachel McAdams. 
 

I knew the second I heard Chris Hemsworth talk he'd make a great hero for The Sky Pirate's Wife and I'd pair him up with Kate Bosworth. For The Turncoat's Temptress, I love the idea of Natalie Portman and Ian Somerhalder.

What things do you like to do to relax?
In the spring and summer, I love to walk. Hiking nature trails and conversation areas and taking photos that I post of my blog. I recently started Zumba too, which clears my head.

Do you have another job as well as writing?
I work as a catalog technician, which is a fancy way of saying I catalog books for the county library.

If you could have one super power in your existence, what would it be?
I would love to be able to control the weather. Windy day? Poof, not it's still. Too hot? Let's have some rain. Cloudy? Bring on the sun!

If money were not an object, where would you most like to live?
On a beach. My mom and I took a cruise the year I graduated college, then we spent almost two weeks going from beach to beach on the eastern coast of Florida. I had the time of my life letting waves knock me off my feet over and over.

What kind of car would you have if money was no object?
I inherited a love of sports cars from my dad. I had a Ford Mustang several years ago, but sadly, totaled it in a wreck. I'd jump at the opportunity to own something with a little more power. I'm thinking Terlingua.
What’s your favorite food?
Chicken in a lemon-butter sauce, with mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. Oh, throw a roll in there too, please.

Favorite color?
Depending on my mood, blue or green.

Can you think of a song or piece of music that could be your theme tune?
New Radicals' Get What You Give.

Just answer these questions as quickly as possible.


Chocolate or vanilla?-----  Vanilla

Dog or cat?---- Cat

The film or the book?----- Book

Jeans or dress? Jeans

Beach or Snow resort? Beach

Heels or flats? Flats

What do you love best about yourself?
I love to laugh, so I'm always making jokes.

What do you like least?
I'm very shy and awkward in public. I never know how to start a conversation and I'm always worried I'm going to accidentally insult someone.

Do you have anything to share with other authors that might be a help?
Maintain a social media presence. Get to know your readers and other authors. But don't forget to write!

Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?
Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedules to pick up one of my books. I write what I like to read and I hope parts of my books will tickle your funny bone or move you in some way.

Can you share one of your favorite parts of one of the books?

Sure. This is from my new release, The Turncoat's Temptress. Basil is a member of secret society called the Guardians and Nora is from a long line women who can see the future. 


                He circled her wrist with his fingers and brought her hand to his mouth. He pressed kisses to her palm, laughing softly as she squirmed.
                “It tickles.” She tried to pull away, but he gave her a tug and she plopped on the bed beside him. The mattress sank as her slight weight settled into it. She frowned. “I didn't hurt you?”
                Basil cupped her face. “It's fine.”
                Her eyes darkened and all the humor left her face. “You were almost killed in Norfolk. I missed the bomb somehow. I couldn't sense it and you—”
                “Lived. I'm right here.” He took her hands, pressing them against his chest so she could feel his heartbeat. It accelerated because she was so near. “You feel that? It's thanks to you I'm sitting here.”
                “You never shirked your duties. You trained when they told you to train. You killed when they ordered you to kill. I tried to be someone I'm not and it almost cost your life.” Tears sparkled in her eyes. “If I'd learned about seeing, I might have prevented it.”
                “That's life, Nora. You don't need to see around every corner. You're not a piece of machinery to be used as a tool.” He echoed the words he'd used earlier to challenge Abel. “I don't expect that from you. It's been a harrowing couple of days. The shock of seeing each other again, the thrust into a world you didn't even suspect existed, running from the Guardians. Knowing you've got to face Phoebe again. It's been difficult for you, but I won't let you go.”
                This time. It hung between them, an old wound that still ached.
                Her face rested against his chest, hiding her expression. He couldn't tell whether she believed him or not, but she didn't pull away or voice any concerns. She curled against him, one hand still over his heart.
                “It belongs to you and it always did,” he whispered into her hair.

Find Allison online:

Buy the books
The Treasure Hunter's Lady


The Sky Pirate's Wife


The Turncoat's Temptress

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me today, Elodie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that was a sweet excerpt. I really love this series and I've already started The Turncoat's Temptress. Good luck to you, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! I'm in the middle of The Turncoat's Temptress now. I'm eager to see what you do after this series is over, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison, Thank you for being my guest :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment awaits moderation. Thank you :-)